Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Rainbow Sensory Bin

Bug saw the rice and noodle sensory bins on the deck the other day and begged to play with them.  It was too cold to do anything outside, so I put a plastic tablecloth on the floor and let her have at it.  I simply opened the bins up and let her explore with them.  I made these this summer but they've been tucked away on the deck for several months, so it was like a whole new experience.  There were ice cube molds, dump trucks, egg cartons, jars with lids and other toys in there for her to explore with. 

She played for a hour and a half straight.  I left her alone to do what she wanted, guiding her back onto the tablecloth when she moved to the carpet, but didn't tell her what to do or how to do it.  With the exception of the music playing quietly in the background, it was really quiet.  She was focused in her play in a way I've never seen.  It was beautiful to watch.  I tried to use the time to tidy up, but I couldn't stop watching her.  She would ask me to join her in play and I of course did.  It was a perfect bonding moment.  Later that night I saw a quote from Family Focus Movement {a favorite on Facebook} and I had to smile, thinking back on our day: 
When your child says "Can you play with me?" what the child is really saying is "Can you be with me?"  Parents need to recognize the inner voice of your child so that you can meet the needs of your child.
-Family Focus Movement, Facebook
Our days get busy and too much is crammed into them, this was a perfect reminder that we need to slow down and be in the moment. 




Putting rice between her toes

Pouring into her kitchen pot
Wondering how it feels down her shirt

Elmo had to get in

How to color the noodles:
It's pretty easy and cheap to color the noodles and rice.  I bought a 5 lb bag of generic rice and a couple boxes of macaroni noodles.  I filled a large ziplock bag 1/3 full of noodles and added a few drops of food coloring in and shook away.  {Some Internet sites will tell you to add vinegar or rubbing alcohol, I'm not sure why they say to do this.  I didn't and it turned out just fine.}  I poured them into a large, low sided bin and stuck them on the deck to try in the sun.  They were dry within an hour.   

-JO

No comments:

Post a Comment