Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lefse and Love: reconnecting over a rolling pin


Husband and I brought back an old Scandinavian holiday tradition.  We made lefse. We figured that in the last 6 years we’ve only made it once, so it was time to bring it back. Plus it was nice spending time with him seeing as we haven’t done anything together for a long time.




As a German/Irish girl I had no idea what this lefse was until he introduced me to this amazingly thin, delicious, potato tortilla.  I couldn’t believe I had never head of it considering it’s mostly potato and that’s the base of my diet.  


It’s a lengthy and delicate process, one false step and it’s all for nothing.  Ok, being a bit dramatic there, but if you rush the process it will take you longer in the end.  


  
As a duo, we each have our own job.  He rolls and I cook.  It’s a lot of fun and we enjoy it.  And a drink or two is usually involved.  


Tonight it was more than just a tradition.  It was therapy.  Since the birth of A, working opposite shifts, and exhaustion, we haven’t had much time to catch up and just talk.  Conversation came easily as he rolled and I cooked, we talked about everything and nothing, important things, things that don’t matter, we laughed, joked and simply enjoyed each other’s company.




It was nice putting the rush of life on hold and enjoying a simple night with my husband, reconnecting over a rolling pin and a hot grill. 
    


And for the first time in 13 years, I tried my hand at rolling.  Turns out I'm not too bad at it, but I'm ok sticking with the rolling, not as much pressure.  
-J 
 



      



2 comments:

  1. Opa and I saw something on tv about this-neither one of us have ever eaten it. Nice that the two of you enjoyed time together.

    ReplyDelete