Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Great Outdoors

I know how important it is for children to explore but I'm always reminded when I walk outside with my kids. J is a very energetic little man. He jumps off of anything and everything, climbs, runs, hops, whatever he can do to burn energy. A lot of times when he is acting out or not listening I know he needs to get outside. The fresh air, all the open space to roam and explore mesh well with my child, and most children to be honest. It's so important for kids to be outside. But, with that being said winter is always tough. I admit, I get kind of lazy about going outside in the winter. Leaving the warm and toasty house to go outside in the cold MN weather and not to mention the fact that it takes so long to get everyone bundled up and outside for a whopping 15 minutes of play, it doesn't sound too enticing. Now putting my laziness aside it's good for all of us to explore the great outdoors. There is so much for them to do outside and nothing at the same time. We walk around touching the snow or ice, looking at tracks and trying to decipher which animal that could have been, breathing in the cold air, looking for icicles, sledding, snowballs, skating, sometimes we just wander without saying words but just enjoying the moments of being outside. Being outside is a beautiful, calm place for kids to be. It really seems to help center my boy and allow him the freedom he needs to feel independent. I will read this post as the temperature drops as a reminder to GO OUTSIDE!

1 comment:

  1. What a great sled and lucky that Em has a big brother who is so strong and can pull her!

    ReplyDelete