Sunday, July 1, 2012

A good man..

My husband is a wonderful man. He works so hard so that I am able to stay home with the kiddos and he never ever suggests me going back to work, even when things are really tight. As of late his work schedule has been crazy. He leaves for work some days at 5:30am and doesn't return until at least 5:30pm some nights. He does everything he can to be home early enough to spend time with his kids, because it literally rips his heart when the kids cry as he leaves for work. Not to mention that fact that he misses them terribly if he leaves before they wake up and if he gets back after they are asleep. He is a good man; a good husband and an excellent father.

My handsome husband. The way he looks in this picture is exactly how you'd imagine his personality to be. He is so laid back, easy going and calm. I am lucky.

On top of him working his tush off he also volunteers for our local Fire Department. He is currently an EMS and is on call once every five days. Those days are hard. At least once a month it falls on a weekend day. He literally can not leave our house (not even to take the kids on a bike ride) because if a call comes in he has to drop everything and leave at that moment. All of us wake up on those days feeling a bit more anxious than the glorious days when he is home. Today was an on call day. The kids and I hustled out of the house to pick my mother in law up for a Sunday morning trip to the Farmers Market (if I haven't mentioned in the past how grateful I am for family, I'm saying it now. Both sets of parents make him being on call bearable for both of us). Since it hasn't left the 90's here and the humidity is enough to send us all through the roof we then went to my in laws for a dip in the pool. Our total time away from home was 4.5 hours. True to form, Z didn't get a single call during that time. As we drove home and I told the kids we were going home to see daddy I prayed that the VW was still parked in the driveway and that he didn't get a call. We pulled in relieved to see him there! Jabes needs to have that time with his dad. They do their boy things outside and I am able to have a few mom moments by myself. We got a half hour or so with him before his pager went off and he scurried out the door. A typical call lasts between an hour and a half to two hours. With a 5:30am wake up call from Eme this morning and a short 45 minute nap before the market her and I were wiped. The kids and I kept our spirits strong and we played while daddy was on a call. There are many moments when I get resentful and angry that he is gone. I am wiped out from a day with two little munchkins and I don't get much of a break. But then as I utter the words to my kids who are crying because daddy is gone I remind myself that we are so lucky. I always tell them in a positive tone, "daddy is helping someone. We are so lucky to have a daddy that is able to help people like he does". The truth is, we are so lucky. My husband has such a big heart and you can literally see him melt when his kids look at him and say "daddy please". I have encouraged him and supported through this long process of joining the fire departement. He has chosen not to move forward with the Fire piece of things for now purely because he can't imagine any more time away from them. I do support him. Even in my frustrated moments as he walks out the door, I do support him. It is tough right now as the kids are little but I know there will be a day that comes when they appreciate what their dad does and they will look up to him. After all, it's not every little kid's dad who is a "fire fighter". 


Z, if you are reading this please know how much I appreciate all that you do for us. You are a patient and loving with such a kind spirit. I know at times I get impatient with your job and the FD but I truly do appreciate who you are and what you do. Jabes is lucky to have a role model like you to follow closely behind and Eme will now know what a good man is. I am beyond lucky for the husband you are. Thank you for being an equal partner in raising our children and for always standing next to me on the tough decisions we sometimes have to make. Thank you for your constant dedication to us, to me, and for supporting us in more ways than one. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment