Monday, March 5, 2012

To B.O or not to B.O.

I started making my own deodorant almost a year ago.  I was tired of buying stuff that's not healthy for me and didn't like putting chemicals on my skin that's meant to block my pores.  I also didn't want to be putting it on my body so near my breasts.  So I decided to give it a go and make my own. 

I was skeptical, and trying it for the first time in the spring when it was starting to get warm was a bit gutsy.  But it worked amazing.  I love it.  I will never go back.  And it's so easy.  I mean ridiculously easy.  3 ingredients and you're done.  Corn starch-that absorbs moisture, baking soda takes care of odor, and coconut oil is a natural antibacteral/anti-fungal.

I made some for a friend and she threw out her store bought deodorant the next day and made some for her sister to try (who threw out her store bought deodorant too).  I have another friend who made it for her husband who "sweats like a man" and he loves it.  No problem with b.o. sneaking through during the day or night.  This stuff rocks!   

Here's the how-to on making your own deodorant:

1.Mix equal parts cornstarch and baking soda in a bowl (I use a tablespoon of each)
2.Add a few drops of essential oils to the powder (I like lavendar and lemon, either mixed together or alone but you can try any kind, be creative).
3.Then I mash in coconut oil using a fork.  I mix this until it's the consistancy of frosting. 

That's it!  It's so easy.  And you don't have to have your measurements exact either, just roughly guess how much.  A batch that lasts about a month which is nice because I like to change flavors, last month I mixed lavendar, lemon, and vanilla, oh yum!  It smelled wonderful!

You can put it in an old deodorant bottle, but you may need to store it in the fridge when it starts to get warm (coconut oil is liquid at around 72 degrees) or you can put it in a small container and apply it with your fingers.  I do this now but I won't lie, it had me freaked out when I first read about it.  I thought it was so gross but it's really not.  Give it a try, even for a day or week.  And let me know what you think.  I bet you'll be surprised!

-Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment