Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Bad Day

Today was a bad day.

It all started last night. After a particularly difficult day yesterday at home and at work, a close friend and I decided a drink to chill out after work was in order.  Given the nature of the business we work in {local tv news}, we didn't even leave until after 11.  We had a wonderful time chatting about everything, winding down, and left after less than 1 beer.  When I got home I mistakenly got sucked into a real estate app and was up until 130.

Bug woke up at 2.  I mean wide awake.  She had to go potty and wanted something to drink.  Did them both and crawled into bed with her hoping she'd fall asleep after a few minutes.  2 hours later I had it.  She wanted me to sing to her, eat something, play with her toys, go into the living room, wondered where dad was {sleeping}, where the dog was {sleeping}, what they were doing {sleeping!}, play, talk, and whatever else a 2 year old could think of.  All of this in addition to the flip flopping that was going on in the twin size bed, to include elbows to the face and head butts to the nose {all accidental but painful nonetheless}.

I got up and asked Husband to come in a relieve me for a bit, hoping he'd have better luck.  Nope.  She pitched seriously the biggest fit, much too loud for an apartment at 4 in the morning, so I went back in and she calmed down.  Score.  Now she'll fall asleep.  Why do I even allow myself to think like that?  I only tease myself and it makes the bite sting that much worse.  She was up for at least another hour.  I finally fell asleep on  what was feeling like an itty bitty twin bed at 5, I have no idea when she fell asleep.  Of course she was up at 815.

The morning progressed nicely, she was in good spirits {really? how?} and I was in a fog.  I was mildly irritated when I took a sip of coffee only to instantly grow hair on my chest.  Husband later told me the coffee pot broke this morning {gasp!} and only brewed a half pot of the strongest coffee I've ever had.  I instantly regretted giving the 6 diet Pepsi's to a friend yesterday in my attempt to kick that habit {4 weeks and I'm still craving it}.  But I pulled up my big girl panties and decided to get out of my funk and try to enjoy the beautiful day.  We went to the park and met a sweet little boy and his dad there, and the kids played for a long time.

We came home for lunch and that's when it turned ugly.  And I mean ugly.  She only at the grapes I had on her plate, started throwing food and banging her fork on the glass plate.  I was done.  She was done.  Into bed we went.  Read our stories, lit the candle and sang songs.  She wasn't having it.  It was 2 am all over again.  Talking, flip flopping more than a politician, and then the sassiness came out.  Game breaker.  I tried everything for an hour to get her to sleep and she tried everything for an hour to not fall asleep.  It wasn't pretty at times, I yelled and she cried, she yelled and I cried, and I found myself stepping away for a moment or two a few times.  I was over it.  I was tired of the whining, kicking, being touched, sassiness, and just lack of sleep.    

Exhausted, hardly having any caffeine, and no food {I forgot to eat breakfast-a major no-no for me} is a bad combo.  I finally surrendered and decided it wasn't worth the battle. I apologized to her for yelling {and probably scaring her}, and told her she needed to spend her quite time in her room.  In that time I was able to eat something, get a load of laundry done, pick up a few things, calm myself down and write this.  I'm feeling a little bit more refreshed and my heart smiled when I heard her singing the song I made up for her when she was a baby.

Have you had these day?  What did you do to make it through them?

~Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment